da Vinci's Catapult

 


 Now for something completely different! Here's a scale replica of  the Renaissance Master, Leonardo de Vinci's, Catapult: kit  by Pathfinders.  I got this kit as a retirement gift for something to occupy my time while we wait for the Kung-Flu to pass.  



The kit is complete; the box contains everything to build the replica including the white glue. Here's what comes the box: 



The kit is unfinished wood. So, I started by staining the pieces with an oak colored wood stain and let them dry overnight. Here you can see the stained pieces; looks more natural than the raw pine doesn't it? The instruction booklet is comprehensive; follow the steps as described, and you can't go wrong. Here's the barrel with the attached ratchet gear and the base cross pieces. 


Base frame complete: 




I used a carpenter's clamp to squeeze all gaps out of the frame base and the barrel stanchions.  



Ratchet gear,  barrel, and locking arm in place



The instructions don't say anything about cutting off the wood dowels used to hold the pieces together; the instruction booklet illustrations  show them in place. After the glue dried, overnight, I cut them flush with the frame and stained the ends with a cotton swab to blend in with the rest of the frame. 

  Catapult fully assembled waiting for the rigging: 



Here we are! Rigged and ready to fire!!!! 





This thing works great! I test fired marbles and consistently got ranges up to 20 feet (6 Meters)!!!! I could do a regression analysis and generate a range table! Wouldn't that be AWESOME??!!!!  


Naaaaaw....... didn't think so; I'm not THAT Covid bored....yet. 


This kit turned out very well and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's great week-end project and a  perfect rainy day parent/ child activity. 


Until next time.....

SHOT!..................splash, out. 

RJ  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A BIG ol' can a whoop-ass!

F-4D Phantom II with LASER guided bombs

I thot I thaw A TWEETY BOID!