Hurricane Comin'!






        Long ago when I was between the 6th and 7th grade, I received a Monogram Hurricane kit for my birthday. This was the first model I built as a replica and not a toy to play with. I guess that was the real start to my life long hobby. Consequently, I've always been fond of the Hawker Hurricane. As time went on, my modeling interest settled on post-WWII aircraft; I was  never much interested in WWII subjects. 
    But, when I came across a Revell kit visiting a hobby shop, the nostalgia bug bit me!  Along the way I, also, came by an Airfix kit being sold on a modeling forum. So, here is a Hurricane Mk IID tank buster in a revisit to my first modeling project. The Mk IID is a special release under the "Airfix Club" label and contains the 40mm gun pods. 







The Revell kit depicts a Mk IIC in the China, Burma, Indian  theater.










    A few comments about this build. Somewhere along the journey I stressed the Revell canopy; there are micro fissures along the the top. This was the first time I used Humbrol paint in many, many moons! As you can see, despite several coats, it's translucent in some places on the clear parts. Since, they're both going into my display case forevah, I didn't bother weathering the bottom of the kits.  The infamous Airfix panel lines are present in all their Matchbox-esque glory.  You either hate them or don't care. Me? .... Meh, life is short.   

RJ 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A BIG ol' can a whoop-ass!

F-4D Phantom II with LASER guided bombs

I thot I thaw A TWEETY BOID!